-->

Sunday 16 September 2012

My brother took me to the exhibition in Berkeley at the Berkeley Art Museum.
It was for a street artist called Barry McGee.
At first I was a wee bit skeptical as I do not really like street art in general but with this exhibition I was pleasantly surprised.


Trained in painting and printmaking you can definitely see those skills come through in the precision of his work.
For example, his use of line in block colours was so confident they reminded me of the lines created when print making...





This use of line also was apparent in his typography...


A lot of his work reminded of the street art I had seen in the Mission in San Francisco which is Where McGee grew up. 
You can definitely see the influences of what was around him whilst he was growing up in his work and the Mexican influences. 
A lot of the typography in the exhibition reminded me of the Mexican Restaurant we had been to in Sanoma.



My favorite thing in the exhibition was this huge column of TVs he had made with each screen showing something different, like a piece of his animation, or just some interesting footage which was personal or random. 





There were a lot of personally touches in his show as well as seeing his Mission roots show through in his work he also had pictures and illustrations relating to family and friends...


He also displayed works by his late wife Margaret Kilgallen also a street artist, whose work I had seen some of at the SFMOMA.



I think you can tell the influences 
they had on each others work. 
They both appeared in this lovely documentary I watched after called Beautiful Losers.


What I liked about the exhibition was there was SO much to see and I actually ended up spending a lots of time in there despite not really wanting to have gone. 
The space could not of been more perfect for the sporadic and bold nature of his work. 









No comments:

Post a Comment